Victoria Street is Hamilton’s main street and has been so since the early 1870s. When the Bank of New Zealand built a substantial and permanent building on the corner of Victoria & Hood Streets, the future role of Victoria Street was assured. Prior to 1900 the greater part of Hamilton business was located on Victoria Street south of Garden Place. Residential properties mingled with commercial concerns until by the turn of the century they had been largely replaced by shops and offices.
To view all of the images in this collection click on Browse All at the top of this page.