Widespread public supply of electricity to the Hamilton area began in 1913 when the Frankton Power House was switched on. Using a generator fired by coal, gas and coke, it supplied power to Frankton residents. When Frankton Borough merged with that of Hamilton in 1917, the Power House struggled to cope with the increased demand. Attempts to purchase an additional generator in 1920 met with controversy, as can be seen in the election poster of that year. Finally, in 1921, Hamilton started purchasing power from the Horahora power station.
The events of this time are captured by the photographs and leaflets in the collection.
To view all of the images in this collection click on Browse All at the top of this page.