The railway came to Frankton at the end of 1877. Frankton Borough at that time was separate from Hamilton. The line to Hamilton (Victoria Street) was built initially to supply the builders of the rail bridge over the Waikato River. The bridge was completed by 1884 and Frankton became, and remained for many years, the busiest railway junction in New Zealand. Trains passed through Frankton from the north to all points south and through Hamilton to several branch lines including Thames, Taneatua, Rotorua, Cambridge and much later the extension to Tokoroa. The railway growth in Hamilton spurred the growth of industry which was dependent of rail haulage.
To view all of the images in this collection click on Browse All at the top of this page.