Hamilton's town belt once formed a large part of the original borough boundaries of Hamilton, helping to separate town from country. In 1879 the town belt - along with other green areas - was reserved as recreation grounds and its administration and management was delegated to the Hamilton Domain Board. Over time some portions of town belt land were taken for schools, streets, public works, and defence and residential purposes. Fortunately, the vast majority of the belt has been preserved as recreation and domain reserves. So while the town belt has been subsumed into a much larger and ever expanding city, it is still very visible.
This collection includes aerial and panoramic photographs held by Hamilton City Libraries.
To view all of the images in this collection click on Browse All at the top of this page.