Frankton was named after Frank Jolly. The Jolly family were some of the earliest inhabitants and owned and developed a large amount of the land that made up the Frankton area. The development and character of the settlement was greatly contributed to by the railway. By 1910 more than 80 trains passed through Frankton Station every day. Frankton became a borough in 1911 and was governed by a borough council from May 1913 until it amalgamated with the Hamilton Borough Council in 1917. The images in this collection include street and aerial views of houses, industry and commercial landmarks and photographs of the destruction wreaked by the tornado that swept through the area in 1948.
To view all of the images in this collection click on Browse All at the top of this page.