This was perhaps Victoria Street’s heyday. Most of the wooden buildings disappeared and were replaced by concrete or stucco over brick buildings. The Commercial Hotel was stripped of its weatherboard facade and a new red brick exterior emerged. Business premises moved yet further north and there was hardly any housing left between Mill Street and Bridge Street. More movie theatres were built and in the south the old municipal chambers building was converted to a movie theatre. Traffic volumes grew alarmingly and queues caused by trains crossing between Ward & Bryce Streets were concerning the city fathers and the business sector.
In 1939 Garden Place Hill was removed changing forever the Victoria Street landscape.
To view all of the images in this collection click on Browse All at the top of this page.