Victoria Street was by now the commercial and retail hub of Hamilton. Shops and offices were constructed as far as London Street (a few beyond. Many of the banks and insurance companies operating in New Zealand had substantial buildings in the ‘new’ block north of Collingwood Street. In this period car sales and petrol bowsers emerged along with movie theatres.
The ‘new’ Hamilton Public Library opened opposite Garden Place in 1907 and the less salubrious stock yards and horse bazaar moved out of Victoria Street around the same time.
Victoria Street was extended during this period to Bridge Street at the south end and Edgecumbe Street in the north. Jersey Street name ceased to exist and Tisdall Street retreated beyond Bridge Street.
To view all of the images in this collection click on Browse All at the top of this page.