Garden Place was originally part of a ridge which extended from Ruakiwi Road through to Victoria Street. To the local Maori, Garden Place Hill was known as Te Kopu Mania O Kirikiriroa (the smooth belly of Kirikiriroa) and was farmed extensively for kumara and rauruhe (fern root). In 1931-32 a cutting was dug to allow Anglesea Street to pass through the hill, and in 1939 work began on removing the section of the hill that extended through to Victoria Street.
The photographs in this collection document Garden Place Hill, its removal, and subsequent developments as a car park and Garden Place.
To view all of the images in this collection click on Browse All at the top of this page.